Thursday, May 17, 2012

Importance of Gifts for Au Pairs

Much as the ancients made offerings to appease their gods, there is a secret au pair rule that instructs all new au pairs to bring gifts to their host families.  From each of my 14 au pairs of AuPair Care, we have had the ritual “presentation of gifts” on pick-up day.
Vera presented us with carefully wrapped packages in traditional Slovakian gift wrap.  The boys got books, candy, and small toys.  Hank dove right into the Slovakian chocolate.  Will tried the fruit-flavoured chewy candy and went directly to the wastebasket and spit it out.  My husband and I received a beautiful crystal vase that I still use today.  Lena brought a DVD about the Czech Republic (and candy). Helen brought a book about Bergen, Norway (and candy).  Sabrina brought my son, Hank a stuffed animal, Will a LEGO, and for us, German chocolate.  Even though she was our most challenging au pair, Carla gave us the best presents: two handcrafted wooden Buddhist statues.  She called them “grandmother” and “grandfather,” and they represented spirits that protect a family.  Carla is long gone but “grandmother and grandfather” still sit on my mantle today.  After matching with au pair Elisa from Sweden, I got wise.  I made suggestions via e-mail on the gifts: for Hank, a stuffed animal; for Will, a CD of a famous Swedish rock band; for my husband and me, chocolate (what else?).  It was a hit, all around.  Hank named his new lion “Leyon” (lion in Swedish) and slept with it every night for a month after Elisa’s arrival.  It was a great first impression!
Knowing that this is going to happen, be sure to discuss with your au pair from AuPair Care in advance what she might bring for the children.  A great gift from your au pair to your child will help to establish that much needed connection.  Chocolate is always a winner in my family.
And you don’t want to be the one at the party who forgot to bring a gift, so be sure to greet your new au pair with a gift of her own.  I give each of our new au pairs of AuPair Care a “welcome” card, holding three or four gift cards of $10 or $15 from Starbucks, the local ice cream shop, the movies, and the bookstore.  I want them to get out of the house and meet friends, and if they are not spending their own money, they might just do it.
Summary: It is very important to gel well with AU pairs and art of gifting helps to keep them happy and develop warmer relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment